Not all hardwood has to be installed starting along the walls and working your way across to the other side. Parquet hardwood is installed beginning in the center of the room and working your way outward to establish a visually interesting pattern and make installation a bit easier. When installing parquet hardwood floor, it is easy to make mistakes, so you should be sure to purchase about 5% more flooring than you'll actually need to finish the room to account for any mistakes. If you don't need any extra at the end, save it for future repairs as wood colors are sometimes difficult to match.
Step One: When your sub floor is ready for the installation, leave your materials in the room where it will be installed for at least 24 hours so it can get used to the temperature and humidity in the room, making it easier to work with.
Step Two: Install a “vapor barrier” asphalt paper over the sub floor before you start installing the hardwood, to prevent against moisture ruining the hardwood.
Step Three: Measure and find the center of the room.
Step Four: Lay out your tiles without adhesive first so you can be sure of where you want them; work in quadrants.
Step Five: Once you are sure of your placement, spread your adhesive material out on the area of the floor youre working on with a trowel.
Step Six: Immediately place the tiles over the adhesive. Do not allow it to dry before placing the tiles down. Remember, the first tiles placement is very important because it will effect the entire floor installation.
Step Seven: Work in areas from the center to the wall and come back to the center to start another area when the pattern has been laid correctly. Repeat these steps until the room is complete.
It is important not to hammer the tiles as it could cause damage. Do not remove the layer of film over the tiles, because this will come off when it is sanded.
1. Lowes Home Improvement offers advice on how to install hardwood floor. It mentions parquet floor should be installed starting in the center of the room.
2. Ehow shows how to install hardwood flooring.
3. Readers Digest offers advice on how to install prefinished hardwood flooring.
4. Ezine offers advice on installing parquet hardwood flooring.
5. Czar Floors shows us how to install parquet hardwood flooring.
6. Suite 101 offers advice on how to care for your parquet hardwood floors.
7. Expert Village shows a video to assist in calculating the area for the amount of flooring youll need.
8. YouTube offers an installation video specific to parquet hardwood flooring.
9. Wood is Best offers a guide to help you determine which wood flooring to buy.
10. Do It Yourself offers help and advice with installing your own parquet hardwood floor.